El Paso Area Coaches Team Rankings

Official 2007-2008 Texas High School Rankings! Local, regional, area-wide. Team & Individual and Private &Public Schools

El Paso Area Coaches Team Rankings

Postby Jarvis » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:13 am

An article in El Paso Times featuring Chapin High School and coaches rankings for Boys and Girls.

Boys
http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_11002217

Girls
http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_11002218
Jarvis

Re: El Paso Area Coaches Team Rankings

Postby ept915 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:57 am

WOW, I wonder if the el paso times want to retract those rankings after Eastwood ran away with the ARMY STRONG tournament this past weekend.
1. Eastwood
2. Franklin
3. Chapin
That looks a little better.
ept915

Postby Clemenza » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:51 pm

A retraction might not be necessary once Chapin gets their football players back....I don't think football playoffs presented any issues for Eastwood but it sure did for Chapin who was missing many starters, including Issac Lewis at 215 who would likely have won. Same with Able Rodriquez at 152....Zeke Polite (state qualifier) had a family emergency and couldn't wrestle...and there are others from football that would have significantly imporved thier placement....they will be very deep and talented team once they are all together. Hopefully they can all wrestle in the duals at El Dorado this weekend and I think you'll see a difference, even though they will only have been on the mat for a week. Actually I'm amazed they got 3rd with so many of their second tier kids on the mat, and many of them wrestling up in weight classes. Believe by December what the EP Times reported might just be right on the money.
Clemenza

Postby pollard152 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:33 pm

Actually Chapin got 4th out of all the el paso schools. El Dorado ended up in 3rd out of el paso schools in the army strong tournament, but 4th in the whole tournament.
pollard152

Postby ept915 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:54 am

Your right pollard the top four teams were
1. Eastwood
2. Caprock
3. Franklin
4. El Dorado
5. Chapin

It will be good to see these top teams to go at it this weekend, even though some of the Chapin kids, "will have only been on the mat one week."
ept915

Postby NJOYNURSFRNG » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:44 pm

Does anyone have point totals? Eastwood was the best looking team by far. So glad EP team stepped up to send Caprock home without 3rd straight championship. Way too go EP schools!
NJOYNURSFRNG

Postby Clemenza » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Well appears that pointing out that some of the Chapin wrestlers weren't able to wrestle, nor have been practicing until this week touched a sensitive nerve....my apologies. That said, Chapin did finish 4th of EP schools, my error, but the point remains that in the end they will be much stronger than their showing at Army Strong once they get their football players back and wrestling. As for just getting on the mat, that's just a fact, Chapin had a playoff football team and they haven't been wrestling. Eastwood on the other hand had a football season they would like to forget, and I don't even know if any of them are even wrestling. So at this point, the Eastwood wrestlers are the better prepared team.
By the way I'd still consider Eastwood the team to beat (and Andy Rico is my preseason pick for city wrestler of the year, that kid just gets better every time I see him), my comment was only the belief that Chapin has the tools to challenge Eastwood, particularly in a dual where they might have an edge overall in the mid/higher weight classes, and that the EP Times wasn't out in left field with their pick.
Now lets enjoy a great season of wrestling in El Paso, again my point wasn't meant to detract from a very talented and hard working Eastwood team.
Clemenza

Postby TTELP » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:44 am

The season has just begun and it is great that we are already discussing "El Paso Wrestling", more importantly that the El Paso Times took the time to publish a story on Chapin High School and the Pre-Season Coach's Poll. These rankings and polls are nice for stroking peoples egos and for the mere sake of discussion, however, the bottom line is that KIDS are the ones that are going to settle these issues on the mat.

Clemenza had a point in pointing out the fact that Chapin was not at full strength during the Army Stong Tournament. The Huskies are indeed a very talented and deep team....headed by a young good coach, so surely they will be much better than a 5th place team.

EPT915's point was that whether or not Chapin had all of their kids, Eastwood ran away with 1st place. On top of that, the Troopers were also missing some very key wrestlers. Erick Wickstrom and Matthew Garcia ( I believe both are returning District Champions) shoud be back this weekend and are really going to solidify the Trooper squad.

Franklin was missing Gary Martinez and Xavier Portillo...didn't see Jimmy Ballesteros either. Johnny Gonzalez was not wrestling at his normal weight and shoud be much better at 140. Therefore, the Cougars will also be a better team in weeks to come.

Don't know much about El Dorado, but that coach seems to be doing a great job with his kids as well.

The fact of the matter is that El Paso has three pretty solid teams, so it will be fun to watch these kids battle through out the year and take care of business on the mat!!

Clemenza: BTW thanks for the comments about Andy...a true compliment considering all the great talent in El Paso!
TTELP

Postby Jarvis » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:29 am

BL...There are some very talented kids and teams in El Paso this year. The Far West is going to be making some noise throughout the year. Eastwood, Franklin, Chapin and others look good. Reference the preseason polls-If I were the coach/fan for Eastwood, I would love where we were picked (2nd) - instant motivation. As for Andy Rico....WOW.... If he can avoid injury (knocked him out of Regionals last year) the rest of State will know what we are talking about.

2008/2009 Wrestling Season in El Paso.... Good teams, good wrestlers, and great kids!
Jarvis

Postby Jarvis » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:44 am

Jarvis

Next

Return to Official Texas High School Rankings